Thursday 13 October 2011

Cupboard of Nostalgia

When I came into my room today, I went into my cupboard searching for my camera's adaptor. Instead, I found a source of great nostalgia. A paper mache castle set I had made in the first year of Secondary School. For all Year 7's a mighty project was assigned, to inform people of every-day life within a castle, or the strategies used to attack one. With my lust for film-making raging epicly at this point, I decided upon making a short animation documentary on how to attack a Castle. My mind immediately set to the task the following evening, and using the script-writing programme my dad had bought for me, I got straight to work. After spending much times with my friend Joe, I realised most of my friends in my year kept their humour to people hurting themselves, looking like idiots. This, I decided I could fit into my project. I had heard somewhere, you can draw the younger ones in with humour, to get them to realise the point your making. I decided, what ever character I designed to give the facts, he would have to fail at every stage. After concentrating slightly on Aardman Animations, I decided plasticine would prove a useful substance in the stop-motion process.

The two weeks of the Easter holidays went by like a breeze. My crudely designed plasticine character 'Phil,' was fairly easy to animate, though the bulb for my light heated him up immensely. My parents helped out in individual ways. My dad, setting up the studio, and my mum, crafting the props. After each 30 second section, I imported the clips onto iMovie. I was pretty familiar with the system, and editing them was no hassle. I burned it onto a disk on the final weekend of the holidays, and brought it in the next day, anxious to show it to everyone, without seeming cocky. I decided to post it up here to give you folks a look. Bear in mind this way made 2 years ago, when I was merely amateur to the animation routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment